Happy Labor Day! I know many of you are probably in denial about summer coming to a close. Personally, I am looking forward to the start of autumn — pumpkin cookies, pumpkin beers, apple crisps and hearty soups mmm! But, the tastes of summer don’t have to disappear right away. Here is a deliciously fresh salad that can perfectly complement any grilled meat, chicken, or fish, or can be eaten as a light lunch all by itself! It is crisp, sweet, and limey and a perfect way to wrap up summer.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- zest of one lime
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 orange pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 2 nectarines, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- raw kernels from one ear of corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Boil lima beans until tender, 7-10 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Whisk together scallions, lime zest and juice, olive oil, and red pepper in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
Refrigerate for at least two hours. Serve chilled.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine
How I eat it: Super cold! And it’s been a perfect side to a lobster dinner.